Taking motorcycle for road trips is probably one of the best things you can experience as a motorcycle rider living in the USA. This is because the country boasts of some of the best roads bound to provide you with that wild fun and excitement you have always dreaded.
However, one of the secrets to enjoying your motorcycle road trip or travel is traveling with the right motorcycle. Not every motorcycle type is ideal for taking long trips, and you can turn an exciting road trip into a nightmare just by traveling with the wrong motorcycle.
This article contains some of the best motorcycle brands and roads that give you an excellent touring experience in the United States.
Best Touring Motorcycles Of 2020
- 2020 HARLEY-DAVIDSON ELECTRA GUIDE: This baby always tops the list as the best motorcycle available for very long road trips. It comes with excellent features like GPS, Infotainment, Milwaukee-Eight 107 V-twin engine, and one-touch saddlebags, which means the motorcycle is adequately equipped, and also ideal for too long road trips.
It goes for a valuation of $18,999, which is well worth the price.
- 2020 BMW R1250GS: BMW released this top speed bike in 2018, and it still occupies the top spots as one of the best touring motorcycles in the market. Its specifications include air or liquid-cooled 1254cc, 4-stroke flat twin engine that peaks at 136hp, selectable power modes, an improved ShiftCam technology, an open-air audio system, and BMW’s signature automatic stability control. This bike ensures that you have a comfortable and smooth ride throughout your journey. It is sold for a price of $17,895
- 2020 SUZUKI V-STORM 1050 ABS: This bike is a good pick for anyone who wants to have an exciting road trip. It features a 1,037cc, V-twin engine. Other unique features like an adjustable suspension, dirt tires, and two-stage traction control make it a comfortable motorcycle for traveling on a dirt road. It goes for only $13,399
- 2020 KAWASAKI VULCAN 1700 VOYAGER ABS: The manufacturers of this superbike succeeded in creating a gorgeous looking and powerful motorcycle which also happen to be incredibly suitable for long road trips. It boasts a 1,700cc air or liquid-cooled, 52-degree V-twin engine and other unique features like an advanced ABS that you will need on a long road trip. You can get it at just $17,499
- 2020 HONDA GOLD WING: This bike is well equipped for a long trip on the road. Its specs include a 1833cc, SOHC, six-cylinder, liquid-cooled engine as well as DCT automatic transmission. It also comes with heated grips, wide seats, low floorboards, and passenger armrests, which provide the motorcycle’s comfort during a long trip. It features its satellite navigation system.
- YAMAHA FJR1300: This bike has many great features that make it an excellent tour or travel motorcycle. These features include an electric screen, adjustable suspensions, ABS switchable power modes, folding mirror, etc. it features a 1298cc liquid-cooled engine with a 6-speed transmission.
- TRIUMPH TROPHY SE: the motorcycle comes with a 1,215cc 3-cylinder engine. Other features include; cruise control, tire pressure monitor, anti-theft immobilizer, electrically adjustable headlights, and windshields. It is built for speed and comfort and is the right choice for road trips.
How to Prepare Your Motorcycle for A Road Trip
It is one thing to travel with the right motorcycle, and it is another to travel on a bike in good condition. It is never a good experience when your bike breaks down on the road with no nearby mechanic or network reception, and at night.
Therefore, to avoid a story that touches, here are necessary precautions you must take before taking your motorcycle on a road trip.
- Carry out a thorough maintenance check on your motorcycle before taking it on that long trip out of town. Replace worn-out tires, stuck cables, and worn out brake pads. Check your lights, controls, fluids, and so on. To be on the safe side, you can even take the bike out for a practice ride before the trip to see how well it performs on the road and detect any faults.
- Get together any vital paperwork, especially those indicating your ownership of the motorcycle. This may be helpful on your trip.
- Fuel your motorcycle adequately and keep a record of where you will find gas stations on the way so that you can plan adequately.
- Carry an extra key for your motorcycle as a backup. There are incidences where people lose their motorcycle keys and get stranded on a road trip.
- Take some simple repair tools that may come in handy such as a spanner, a tire pump, and so on. These can help you buy time until you find the nearest mechanic in the case of a minor breakdown.
During your trip, you should always perform a thorough inspection of your motorcycle every morning. Check your lights, controls, tires/wheels, oils, fuel, and other fluids, chassis, and stands every morning before you set off.
Great Roads for A Motorcycle Road Trip In USA
The United States boasts many beautiful and long stretches of roads that you can take your motorcycle for a road trip on. You can lose yourself in the beauty of the natural environment, and you can ride for hours and hours undisturbed by horning vehicles or pedestrians trying to cross the road.
Some of the best motorcycle roads in the US include;
- Beartooth Highway (Montana & Wyoming)
- Blue Ridge Parkway (North Carolina & Virginia)
- Cherohaha Skyway (Tennessee)
- Going-To-The-Sun Road (Montana)
- Grand Staircase- Escalante National Monument (Utah)
- Natchez Trace Parkway (Alabama, Mississippi & Tennessee)
- Needles Highway (South Dakota)
- Northwest Passage Scenic Byway (Idaho, Montana & Washington)
- Pig Tail Scenic Byway (Arkansas)
- San Juan Mountain Skyway (Colorado)
Road trips are usually very memorable experiences. But they are also effortless to run. With the proper bike and proper preparation, you can truly make the best of your road trip