Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Eating the right kind of breakfast fuels your body and activates the system. If you are on a weight gain plan, then breakfast is the best meal of the day to pump up high calories into the body. That doesn’t mean you load a toast with oodles of butter or cheese and get done with it! An ideal breakfast for weight gain must be wholesome and nutritious, along with offering anywhere between 200-300 calories per serving.
To make matters easy for you, we have put together a list of 9 Healthy Breakfast Ideas for Weight Gain! Try these tasty and delicious recipes to meet your weight goals quickly!
9 Weight Gain Breakfast Ideas Which are Healthy and Delicious:
Here are some of the best breakfast options to eat in the morning to gain a few kilos:
Wholegrain Avocado Toast with Sunny-Side Up:
If you love eggs and avocado, then you’ll love this delicious toast that combines two of your favorite items. The wholewheat avocado toast is super quick to make and will keep you satisfied for a long time. Avocados are calorie-dense foods and rich in healthy fats, so adding a fried egg makes this dish even more filling and nutritious.
- Whole Wheat Bread – 2 Slices
- Ripe Avocado – ½ Fruit mashed or sliced
- Eggs – 2
- Cooking Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt and Pepper – To Taste
- Red Chilli Flakes – 1 tbsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
- Olive Oil – to drizzle
- First, toast the bread slices on both sides and put them aside
- Now, take a bowl and add the avocado slices or mash
- Add pepper, salt, chilli flakes, lemon juice and mix well
- Take a pan and add some oil
- Once the oil gets hot, crack an egg and drop it into it
- Fried it on the side to get a nice “sunny side up.”
- Now make that two portions for two slices of bread
- Assemble your toast by placing the slice on the bottom
- Layer it with avocado mash, fried egg and sprinkle some salt and pepper on top
- Drizzle some olive oil and you are good to go!
- Nutrition: Approx. 450 Calories for 2 portions
Cheese Omlette with Kale and Mushroom Filling:
A delicious and nutritious omelette is the perfect way to start your day off right. To make a regular omelette even better, try adding some cheese, kale, and mushrooms for extra flavor and nutrition. The result is a gooey, fluffy omelette that takes less than 10 minutes to prepare. This high-protein dish not only helps you gain weight, but also improves muscle mass.
- Eggs – 2
- Mushrooms – ½ Cup Chopped length-wise
- Kale – 1 Cup Chopped
- Grated Cheese – ½ Cup
- Salt and Pepper – To Taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- In a bowl, crack two eggs and whisk them well
- Take a pan and heat some oil
- Add mushrooms and make sure they don’t stick to each other
- Once they change color and get crisp, add chopped kale and mix well
- After 1-2 minutes, turn off the heat and season the mixture with some salt and pepper
- In the same pan, you can add 1 tbsp of oil and pour in the egg mixture
- Choose one half of the egg to add grated cheese, leaving the other half to cook
- Now add the mushroom and kale mixture on top of the cheese
- Once the egg gets cooked properly, fold the omelet with the cheesy side on the bottom side
- Transfer the omelette onto a plate and serve it hot along with a toast
- Nutrition: Approx. 360 Calories for 1 Portio
Creamy Oatmeal Porridge with Banana and Peanut Butter:
Start your day with this delicious and creamy oats porridge. This dish is not only quick and easy to make, but it’s also packed with flavor and nutrients. With a generous portion of bananas and peanut butter, the porridge will fill you up with energy and keep you satisfied all morning long. Each serving of porridge contains around 370 calories, making it one of the best morning breakfast ideas for those looking to gain weight.
- Rolled Oats – 1/2 Cup
- Banana – 1 Medium-sized cut into slices
- Cinnamon Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Water/Vegan Milk or Dairy Milk – 1 Cup (You can use a mix of water and milk too)
- Peanut Butter – 1 heaped tbsp
- Add water or milk to a pan and turn on the heat
- Now add oats, cinnamon powder and half a portion of banana slices
- Let it all cook well until you get a soft, mushy mixture
- Keep stirring and ensure there are no lumps
- Once the oatmeal turns fluffy, remove from flame
- Add a generous amount of peanut butter and mix well
- Garnish with some chia seeds, banana slices etc. for better taste
- Nutrition: 370 Calories per serving
Mixed Veg Whole Wheat Paratha:
If you’re a fan of Parantha, then you’ll be happy to know that it’s one of the best Indian breakfast options for those looking to gain weight. With some simple preparation and practice, you can enjoy delicious and nutritious paranthas for lunch right at home. Just swap out white flour for whole wheat, and add some ghee for extra flavor and nutrition. Try to include a healthy mix of vegetables like carrots, onions, cauliflower, etc. to get your daily dose of nutrients.
- Whole Wheat Flour – 1 Cup
- Salt – To taste
- Mixed Vegetables – 1 Cup fine chopped
- Amchur Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Chilli Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1 pinch
- Coriander – 2 tbsp finely chopped
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Water – to mix
- Make a firm and elastic dough out of wheat flour and water
- Divide the dough into 2-3 balls and put them aside
- Now, heat some oil in a pan
- Add the vegetables and cook them until soft
- Season the mixture with salt, turmeric, chilli powder and amchur powder
- Add coriander and let the mixture cool down
- Now take a dough ball and flatten it into a small disc
- Place the vegetable mixture in the center of the disc
- Pleat the ends to make a ball
- Dip it in some flour and coat it with ghee to prevent it from sticking
- Now roll the ball into a flat roti
- Cook it on a hot pan on both sides and drizzle some ghee
- Serve it hot with some pickle and curd
- Nutrition: Approx. 250 Calories per piece
Homemade Sweet potato Hash Brown:
Sweet potatoes add a healthy twist to traditional English Potato hashbrowns. These delicious treats make your weight gain breakfast chart more interesting and nutritious too. The crispy exterior complements the soft interiors make you want to binge on them every day. The best part? This high-carb breakfast recipe is super easy to make and pack a lot of nutrition!
- Sweet Potatoes – 2
- Vegetable Oil and Butter Mix – as required to fry (you can use 1:1 ratio)
- Garlic Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Egg – 1
- Chilli flakes – 1 tbsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Pepper – 1 tbsp
- Grate sweet potatoes finely
- Now add 1 egg, garlic powder, salt, egg, chilli flakes, pepper and mix well
- In a pan, add a generous amount of oil and butter to fry the hashbrowns
- Take a spoonful of mixture and drop it in the oil for shallow fry
- Flatten it with a ladle to get a ‘cake’
- Now fry on both sides and use a tissue to soak up excess fat
- Serve them hot with some homemade sauce
- Nutrition: Approx. 140 Calories per piece
How many calories should I eat daily for weight gain?
Ans: Experts recommend eating a high calorie diet to gain weight. This means, you must add atleast 500+ calories per day in addition to your regular calorie count. For faster weight gain, you will need atleast 700-1000 calories more. Use a calorie checker to know the exact calorie count for your current weight and BMI.
Can a skinny person gain weight?
Ans: Unless you have some medical issues or a family history of thin frames, you can definitely put on some weight. You need to pump up more calories by eating more frequently. Include nutritious foods instead of junk foods that give empty calories. Also, take up a moderate workout like strength training to build some muscle along with weight gain.
How many Kilos can I increase weekly with weight gain foods?
Ans: If you adhere to the required calorie count for the weight goals you set, then expect to increase around 0.25 to 0.5 kgs per week. For this, you must consume atleast 500 cals more than your regular limit. Anything beyond this number is abnormal and not deemed to be “safe”.