While working with modern apps, the developers will have to pay special attention to the testing process. This is because modern applications are highly complex and can have various defects, bugs, and other performance issues. So the app developers must have efficient ways of not only directing and reporting the bugs but also removing them before forwarding the application to the production phase. While performing modern software testing, the app developers also have to integrate advanced processes like automation testing, browser testing, and end-to-end testing to boost the quality and efficiency of the entire testing environment. The use of Agile Methodologies can also help boost the synchronization between the development and testing teams of the company.
So, with this article, we will explore some of the most important practices that can help app developers to effectively report software defects and bugs. We will also understand how app developers can keep track of this information and use it in the future to avoid similar situations.
Modern Software Market
Earlier, the app developers created a dedicated app for every task required by the end users. Moreover, the applications were very simple as they were only created for the desktop platform. However, with the advancement of technology and the passage of time, the end-users want more portable devices for accessing the applications and also an all-around approach to their daily tasks. So, modern apps not only have to perform efficiently on multiple platforms like smartphones, desktops, and tablets but also perform multiple applications for various users at the same time. This process leads to various complex testing scenarios and some common bugs and errors like false positives and false negatives in the application testing infrastructure.
In certain cases, the app developers restrict the test instances to only simulation software. However, as testers, we must remember that simulation software cannot replicate the behavior of an app based on various physical parameters of a device. Some of the most important physical parameters that require thorough testing include unstable bandwidth, low battery, or user interaction errors. Therefore real device testing is a crucial part of the modern software testing cycle.
Role of Automation Testing in Software Testing
Automation testing goes a long way in reducing the errors and complexity of the modern software testing process. For the basics, automation testing helps initiate and execute the test instances automatically using predetermined automation test scripts. The data in these scripts allow the system to replicate human interactions and communications while testing the app. The primary goal of this testing process is to analyze the stability and functionality of the application undergoing the development process. The developers also have the freedom to significantly change the app data for customizing the testing parameters according to their requirements.
The use of elaborate automation test cases in modern software testing helps boost the testing process in the following ways:
- Since automation testing does not depend on human developers, it can run the test instances 24 hours round the clock even on non-business days. This process massively boosts the reliability of the test cases and its efficiency. Moreover, the test instances are devoid of errors that can arise due to human involvement.
- Automation testing is highly useful for running repetitive test cases like data analysis testing and regression testing. So the app developers can save a lot of time in the development cycle and use it for creating new features that can be rolled out in a future application update.
- While using complete test automation, the app developers can integrate dedicated tools and plugins to improve the quality of the app that is currently undergoing the development process.
- Automation testing also has a significant role in boosting the resource and time efficiency of the app-developing company. For instance, in the long run, automation testing completely removes the requirements of having a human testing team.
However, before transitioning to complete test automation, we would like to warn the app developers about the initial expenses that come with test automation. This is because it is important to integrate various tools, plugins, and dependencies that are critical for test automation. So, the developers must have a proper economic plan and return on investment for test automation.
Best Practices for Bug Reporting During Software Testing
Based on our research and understanding, we have created a list of some of the best practices for reporting bugs and errors during modern software testing:
Use of a Simple And Descriptive Title:
App developers need to use descriptive and simple titles for summarising the issues in the application. This is because the use of these titles will simplify the process of debugging. Moreover, it is very important to understand that all the members of the app development company might not have the required technical knowledge to understand complex testing terms.
Properly Naming the Test Cases:
Modern software test cases consist of thousands of different elements that require elaborate testing. So, while developing the test cases for all these elements, the app developers must name the test cases according to the target elements. This process will avoid any confusion when the app developers will go through the test instances for the required debugging process. It also helps to keep track of the bugs by attaching them to the respective test instances.
Use of Test Reporting Tools:
The application developers need to integrate proper test reporting tools in the application testing infrastructure. This is because using these tools, the app developers will be able to generate detailed and comprehensive test reports about the issues in the application. Moreover, certain cloud platforms like LambdaTest natively generate highly comprehensive yet simple test reports to understand all the members of the app development company.
Information About the App:
To properly understand all the bugs and errors that have been detected in the application and how they can affect the basic functioning, the app development companies must create a basic awareness about the app that is undergoing the development process. This means that the development, testing, business, and production teams must have at least a basic knowledge of the app, its intended use case, and the target audience for the application. This knowledge will also allow the testing and development teams to adjust the test parameters for better efficiency and productivity accordingly.
Use of Attachments:
Various attachments like screenshots and videos massively help to understand the functioning of all the elements present in a modern application. This is because by automatically capturing screenshots and videos during the test execution process, the application developers can keep track of all the issues in the code infrastructure. Later, they can refer to this information to find the faulty elements by easily navigating through the app infrastructure.
Creation of A Comprehensive Test Plan:
The application developers need to create a comprehensive test plan before beginning the testing process. This plan will consist of the application’s intended testing process, the chosen testing tools, and frameworks along with the expected behavior. While creating the test plan, the app development companies must include all the members in this process. The expected behavior for the application will provide a clear context and help the developers understand the app’s intended functionality
Sorting Bugs According to Priority
We must remember that all the bugs do not have the same impact on the basic functioning of the application. So, the app developers must sort the bugs according to their priorities and take the necessary action. This process will also ensure the stability of the basic app infrastructure irrespective of all scenarios. it is also important to perform automated regression testing to ensure that the existing elements are not affected by the new additions to the app infrastructure.
Role of LambdaTest in Modern Software Testing
As we already discussed earlier, cloud platforms have a massive role in boosting the real device testing capabilities of modern app testing infrastructure. LambdaTest is one such cloud-based platform that allows the execution of automation testing using artificial intelligence integrated features. Using this platform, the app developers can run the test instances on thousands of real devices through remote servers. It also combines the test reports from multiple test instances to boost the dependability and accuracy of the testing cycle.
Let us thoroughly understand the rule of LambdaTest real device testing cloud and LambdaTest API in the modern software testing infrastructure:
- LambdaTest can execute automated software test cases from multiple well-known frameworks like Appium, Selenium, and Cypress. While working with Selenium test scripts, the app developers can execute the test instances on more than 3000 browser versions using the Selenium WebDriver.
- LambdaTest uses parallel test execution to run multiple test instances on different machines and configurations at the same time. Moreover, the app developers can combine the Selenium Grid to execute automated cross-browser test cases on multiple operating systems, browser instances, and legacy devices at the same time. The following code snippet will allow the app developers to execute automated cross-browser testing using LambdaTest.
- LambdaTest also maintains a real-time activity log to keep track of all the test cases that are currently being executed on the app development project.
- After executing the test cases, LambdaTest will generate a detailed test report showing some of the most crucial testing parameters like screenshots and videos that are automatically captured in the execution process along with a detailed test activity log. The app developers can use the information in the test reports to quickly find out the faulty elements and bugs for performing the debugging process.
- The official website of LambdaTest provides enough documentation about various errors and bugs using simple languages and sample test cases. Moreover, LambdaTest has an elaborate support system consisting of over-the-phone support, live chat, and a mailing feature. Finally, the app developers also have the option to discuss among themselves using the LambdaTest open-source community.
The Conclusive Views
All the practices that we discussed in this article will massively help the developers keep track of all the important bugs and errors in Software Testing. It is also important to have a proper data management system so that the developers can use the detected bugs as a reference for future app development projects. It is also important to constantly update the knowledge regarding the innovations and additions in the segment of complete test automation. The app developer should also constantly monitor their target audience to gain additional information about their changing requirements. This information will allow them to customize the application and serve a wider section of the end-users. These are some of the most important parameters to build a positive image for the company and maintain its position in this competitive segment.